- Personal data, or personal information, denotes any information about a person from which that person can be identified (“Personal Data”). It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
- You may contact the data controller for inquiries about how we use your Personal Data at https://www.gambleontario.ca/contact-us/.
Types of Personal Information Collected and How They Are Handled
We will accumulate and process data about you depending on the categories under which you fall, as described below:
Browsing Through the Site
Regarding each of your visits to our Site, whether you have a User Account (as defined below) or not, we might automatically collect the following information:
- Technical information, such as the Internet Protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, your internet service provider (ISP), your device, your location, your operating system and platform and other online identifiers. While this information is non-personal, we minister it with the same level of security and employ the protection we implement to your Personal Data. It is only used for internal analysis of user trends so that we can optimize the Site in the best way possible to offer an exceptional online experience.
- If you use our Site on your mobile device, we may collect your mobile carrier information and the unique device id number.
- Information about your visit to the Site, such as the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) and page interaction information.
- Information received from cookies.
We may also record all the information you provide when you contact our support team for assistance on any channel regarding any information on the Site.
How Your Personal Information Is Used
- Deliver Marketing Communications: to keep you updated with new information, announcements, relevant updates, and other events considered invaluable to you. You will receive such information via email and other means of electronic communications only if you have opted to receive any such information before signing up or by adjusting your User Account settings to permit such information. You may opt-out of receiving communication by accessing your User Account and changing the settings or by clicking the unsubscribe link.
- We will use your personal information to issue such programs when you occasionally enter competitions, giveaways or sweepstakes the Site offers.
- Should the necessity to affirm such information, we will also use your personal information to verify your account.
- We will use your contact data to provide you with the requested information when you contact our customer support team.
Data Held Categories
The personal data collected and processed on you can be grouped into the following categories:
- Identity Data encloses first name, maiden name, last name, title, username or similar identifier, marital status, birth date, gender, employment status and occupation.
- Contact Data includes residential address, email address and telephone numbers.
- Technical Data includes internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, type and version of your browse, time zone setting, location, operating system and platform, browser plug-in types and versions, and other technology of the devices you use to access this website.
- Profile Data contains your username and encrypted password, login and logout times.
- Usage Data comprises information about the ways you use the Site.
- Marketing and Communications Data contains your preferences for receiving marketing from our third parties and our communication preferences.
Cookies & Analytics
Find a description of cookies and analytics below.
The Site also uses Analytics. We may use Google Analytics and Matomo Analytics or any other analytics providers we may use periodically to advertise on the Site and/or on third-party sites after you visit our Site.
Based on your previous visits to our Site, third parties like Google and Matomo and we use first-party and third-party cookies to report, optimize and serve ads:
- Google Analytics is a web analytics service for tracking and reporting website traffic. Google uses the collected data to follow and monitor the use of our Site. This data is shared with other Google services. Google may use the collected data to contextualize and personalize the ads of its advertising network.
- We use Google Analytics’ third-party audience data such as age, gender, and interests to interpret the behaviour of our visitors. We also collaborate with companies that collect information about your online activities to provide advertising that fits your interests and tastes. This means that you may occasionally see some advertisements on the Site or on other sites you browse. This happens because we contract with Google and other companies to target our advertisements. These actions are based on data we or they have collected, including data collected through cookies. These companies may also be able to amass information when you click on advertisements on the Site. This helps in tracking and managing the effectiveness of our marketing strategies.
- It is possible to opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising and customizes the Google Display Network ads by visiting the Google Ads Settings page (https://adssettings.google.com/authenticated). Google also suggests installing the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on for your browser (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout). Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on allows users to avert their data from being collected and used by Google Analytics.
Disclosure of Personal Information to Third Parties
- We aspire to partner with organizations that provide services, solutions, and promotions we believe will be valuable to our customers. In such cases, we will provide you with any such services, solutions and promotions of such other companies.
- The Site also reserves the right to provide statistics about your use of the Site, sales, traffic, and other statistical information to third parties without specifying your identity.
- The Site may provide your personal data to its affiliates or companies for legitimate business objectives.
- We may remove your information should we be required to do so by law to comply with any legal processes.
- We do not provide any guarantee against using your information by third-party sites linked to and from the Site.
Learn about your rights under data protection laws about your personal data in certain circumstances:
- You have the right to access personal information recorded about you. We shall conform with any reasonable access request. If an access request involves excessive work, we reserve the right to charge a fee for the work as specified by law.
- Correction request for your personal data. This enables you to have any insufficient or incorrect data we hold about you corrected. However, we may need to verify the accuracy of the new information you provide.
- Request erasure of your personal data. You have the right to request us to delete any information about you that is irrelevant to the purpose for which we collect it. This allows you to ask us to delete or withdraw personal data without a sound reason for us to continue processing it. You may also request us to remove all your personal data, so we ask you to close your account. There may be legal obligations that prohibit us from deleting all or any information held about you immediately at the time of the request (such as Anti-Money Laundering legislation). Nonetheless, we will process your request presently whenever any applicable data retention time expires.
- Object to processing of your personal data. You have a right to object to our processing of personal data where we rely on legitimate interest or of a third party’s legitimate interest. This can happen if something about your particular situation urges you to express objections to processing on this ground as it impacts your fundamental rights and freedoms. Additionally, you have the right to object to where we are processing your data for direct marketing purposes. You will need to de-select the relevant tick-box for direct marketing before creating a User Account or to change the settings of your User Account, which grants us the consent to process your data for marketing communications. In some cases, we may demonstrate that we have practical, legitimate grounds to process your information which override your rights and freedoms.
- You can request a restriction on your personal data processing. This can be done by asking us to suspend the processing of your data in the following instances: (a) if you want us to verify the data’s accuracy; (b) where our use of the data is illegitimate, but you do not want us to obliterate it; (c) where you need us to preserve the data even if we no longer mandate it as you need it to establish, exercise or safeguard legal claims; or (d) you have opposed to our handling of your data, but we need to affirm whether we have overriding legitimate bases to use it.
- You can request a personal data transfer, known as a data portability request. We will provide you with your personal data in a structured, generally used, machine-readable configuration. This only applies to automated information you initially consented for us to use or we used it to perform a contract with you.
- You have the right to dissent for direct marketing. You have the right to change your mind about us being able to contact you with direct marketing. You can discontinue receiving direct marketing by accessing your account and changing your preferences in the consent boxes of direct marketing or by contacting customer service. Any withdrawal of consent for processing personal data for marketing purposes will apply to the Site only.
- We will retain copies of any communications you send to us (including copies of any emails) to keep valid records of the information we have received from you.
- You can also exercise your rights anytime by contacting us at https://www.gambleontario.ca/contact-us/.
Protection of Children
The Site is an online gambling information outlet. As such, none of the marketing content, products, services or promotions are appropriate for children and visitors under 19 years of age. The Site does not intentionally solicit or gather personal data from children under 19. If the Site finds that it has accidentally accumulated personal data from a child below 19, it will remove that child’s data from its records as soon as rationally possible.
- The Site has no responsibility for the actions taken by children or visitors under the age of 19 based on the content found on the Site, or any of its sub-domains and pages, nor our outbound marketing.
General Data Security
The Site has implemented the necessary digital and infrastructure security protocols at the physical IT and data storage establishments to protect against your information’s misplacement, mishandling, and alteration.
- We cannot ensure that all content will be accurate due to the realities of maintaining the Site and other digital content.
- For this and additional reasons, the Site secures the right to modify and change the information contained within the Site without warning.
- Some services and promotions are bound to regulatory and jurisdictional restrictions and are unavailable in all markets.
- The responsibility is on you to make sure that any information you respond to is valid before committing to the necessary activity.