Craps Online: Top Sites to Play Craps Online in Ontario 2023
Many casino players, both new and old alike, don’t know how to play craps. The many different bet types, frenetic action and unusual language, are all barriers to entry. But this thrilling casino game is a staple of all good casinos, whether online or brick-and-mortar venues, and has a cult following.
Find out why it’s so popular and discover how to play the game in this complete guide to online craps. We’ll also reveal the top casinos at which to experience the buzz, as well as share tips on how to play.
Top Online Casino with Craps — Real Money Play
Introduction to Craps Online
Craps is a popular dice game found in both land-based and online casinos. It is known for its fast-paced gameplay and exciting betting options, as well as its weird and wonderful vocabulary.
In a game of craps, two dice are rolled, and wagers are placed on the outcome. Players can make a wide variety of bets, including on a single roll, multiple rolls and field bets. The game may initially seem complicated, but it is relatively easy to learn. And with so many betting options, this classic game appeals to a wide range of bettors.
The craps table is usually one of the busiest and noisiest areas of the casino, populated by both novice and experienced players. You, too, can join the fun at one of our trusted new online casinos.
Craps Games Availability & Craps Variations
If you’re searching for the best online casinos to play craps, the site needs to have that game in its library! But we favour those brands which offer multiple versions since it’s always good to give people a choice.
With titles from several software suppliers, you’ve ensured a diverse selection of options. Some place emphasis on sharp graphics and engaging sounds, while others incorporate intriguing rule variations or gameplay elements. Either way, several other craps games ensure there’s something to suit all tastes.
Live Craps Games
Not everyone likes to play casino games that use RNG software for various reasons. Live dealer options feel more immersive since you can chat with a real game host and other players. Seeing and hearing actual dice and equipment in high definition adds an extra layer of enjoyment for many.
If you’re one of the millions who prefer live casino games, you’ll be on the lookout for a live craps option. And we’ve got you covered with our recommended casinos.
Playing online casino games should be safe as long as the site is properly licensed and regulated. But some rogue operators try to push every edge available to them within the confines of the law. For instance, they might offer perks that seem tempting but have unattainable terms and conditions attached.
We scrutinize the rules of all casino games, withdrawal limits, and other services to make sure you won’t be tricked.
Things don’t go wrong very often at Ontario’s most reliable online casinos. But in the rare and unfortunate event of a glitch, you’ll want to speak to someone as quickly as possible. Especially where money is involved.
A convenient range of customer service channels is essential. But we always favour sites that allow you to speak to a human in real-time, either by live chat or telephone. And to truly be considered the best casino platform, 24/7 support is a must.
So it’s your lucky day, and you’ve landed a big win. Fantastic! However, you request a payout only to find the casino is placing every possible hurdle between you and the money you rightfully won. There’s nothing more frustrating.
Payout speed is a key issue for most players. That’s why our top-rated casinos offer rapid payout times and fair withdrawal terms. We want you to get your hands on your cash as quickly as possible.
The top wagering sites understand that there can be no online casino gaming without real money. That’s why they offer a robust selection of casino payment methods so that you can deposit in the best way possible.
Our recommended casinos offer more than just a great choice of convenient, safe and reliable deposit methods, though. The same applies to withdrawals, helping you to extract your money just as quickly as you deposited. So expect our sites to offer Interac, Neteller, Skrill and PayPal, as well as credit and debit cards, as the absolute minimum.
Fast Deposits & Withdrawals With:
So far, we have introduced you to the leading casinos to enjoy a game of craps. And you’ve read all the details of how we chose those sites. Now it’s time to learn how to play craps. Here are the rules of this crazy-looking casino game.
Craps has a unique set of equipment compared to other casino games. First, there’s a purpose-built table with high walls since players will shoot the dice directly onto the layout. A mechanical device automatically throws the dice in live casino games.
In a classic craps game, the shooter must stake at least the minimum bet limit on either the Pass or Don’t Pass line. The former is said to be “betting right” in craps jargon, while the latter is known as “betting wrong.” Once the shooter’s bet is made, the game can begin.
Betting on the Pass line means you need the very first throw, called the “come out” roll, to be exactly 7 or 11. This is dubbed a “natural” and pays 1 to 1. If you bet Don’t Pass instead, you’ll win with any 2, 3, or 12 (called “craps”), which also pays out at 1 to 1.
Once all bets are placed, the game round kicks off with the come-out roll. Sometimes, depending on the casino, if the come-out roll is 12 or 2, then Don’t Pass bets will tie.
If the come-out roll is 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, or 10, a “point” is established. At this point, bets on the Pass and Don’t Pass line remain in place.
The shooter will throw again, and those betting on Pass need to see the point rolled again before a 7 is thrown. On the other hand, if you bet Don’t Pass, you’re rooting for the opposite. So if the shooter “7s out” before the point is rolled, you win.
In the centre of the layout, you’ll find a list of bets that anyone can place at any time. These are all single-roll wagers known as proposition bets:
- Any Craps: A 2, 3 or 12 is thrown.
- Any Seven: Win when a 7 is rolled.
- Aces / Boxcars: Exactly 2 (Aces) or 12 (Boxcars).
- Yo Eleven: Win if 11 is thrown.
- Ace Deuce: Win if exactly 3 is rolled.
- Horn Bet: Covers 2, 3, 11 and 12 simultaneously. If any is rolled, you win, and the payout depends on the exact number thrown.
- Hardways: These are doubles, so 4 “the hard way” means a pair of 2s.
On either side of the prop bets, you’ll see the Pass and Don’t Pass bets. The left section of the layout is identical to the right. This design simply makes it easier for many players to bet simultaneously at one table.
You’ll find a full list of craps payouts later in this how-to-play guide. Remember that some casinos employ unusual rules and odds, so be sure to check before you start to play.
Most online sites offer games with standard craps rules, as you might find in any casino. However, at some casinos, gamblers can choose between multiple game varieties with many rule variations. Here are some of the most popular craps variants.
- Bank Craps: The most common version of the game is known as “Bank Craps.” But since it’s the most widely-adopted format, the majority of people call it “Craps.” Its roots can be traced back to street hustlers, but casinos have codified a fair set of rules over time.
- Simplified Craps: A version of the game that’s specially designed for beginners and therefore has a heavily simplified betting structure. It is often found at online casinos and is excellent for those new to the game.
- Crapless Craps: Here, it’s not possible to lose your pass bet on a come-out roll. However, there are no Don’t Pass wagers either, and the Pass bet rules are modified. We don’t advise trying this game as the house edge is far bigger than in traditional bank craps.
- High Point Craps: This game variation is played with a higher point number, usually 9 or 10. There are several unique betting options compared to the standard format, and the house edge is somewhere between the bank and crapless craps.
- First-Person Craps: Evolution is a leading supplier of live casino games. They also created a version of craps that looks like a live game but isn’t actually played in real time. It offers the same kind of realistic and immersive experience as a live casino game without being genuinely live.
- New York Craps: This variant is rarely found at online casinos. It originates from Eastern Europe, despite the name, but is most popular these days on the East Coast of the USA. There are no Come or Don’t Come bets, and it requires a special table.
It’s possible to make a profit from certain casino games. Blackjack is the classic example, as you can employ card-counting techniques to gain an edge. Unfortunately, though, there are no long-term value craps bets.
Despite this, we can still employ a number of strategies to give us the greatest possible chance of success.
- Start with the pass-line bet. This is one of the easiest bets in craps, but best of all, it has a low house edge of 1.41%. You’ll make this wager on the come-out roll. If the shooter throws a 7 or 11, you win. But if the dice reveal a 2, 3, or 12, you lose.
- Avoid the Big 6 and Big 8. These bets have a very high house edge of 9.09% and, therefore, should be avoided. If you want to bet on those numbers, use the place bet 6 or 8 instead, as it returns greater odds.
- Take advantage of free odds bets. Once a point is established, players can make an additional “odds bet” with no house edge. This simple strategy can significantly increase your chances of winning with less risk than most craps wagers.
- Don’t bet on props. These are bets placed on specific rolls or combinations, like Any 7 or Any Craps. They all greatly favour the house and ideally should be avoided.
If you’re new to the craps tables, remember the following advice before diving in.
- Learn the basics of the game. This applies to all casino games, from online slots to video poker. But especially with craps, you must familiarize yourself with the rules, the layout of the table and the bets on offer. There are no refunds if you make an error!
- Take advantage of free play. Many online casinos offer demo versions of craps that allow players to practice before playing for real. This is a great way to learn the rules and sharpen your strategy in a safe environment.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. If you aren’t sure about the game or the bets you are placing, don’t be scared to ask. Live dealer online casinos are great for this, as you can speak to the croupier or your fellow players.
- Start with small bets. When you first play for real money, it is optimal to start with smaller bets. Build your confidence and comfort levels before increasing the stakes.
- Stick to trusted sites. Make sure to choose an online casino licensed and reputable with a track record of paying out winnings. Our recommendations in this guide will help you.
- Set a budget and stick to it. Proper bankroll management is crucial with craps. Setting a budget to avoid overspending and ensure you don’t lose more than you can afford is vital.
- Don’t get lost in the excitement. It’s easy to get caught up in the fast-paced action of craps. And it’s okay to have fun but remember to stay focused and make logical decisions.
- Enjoy yourself. On that note, do remember that craps are just a game. It should be a source of entertainment above all. So don’t take it too seriously and enjoy the experience.
More Casino Game Guides for Beginners
No how-to-play craps guide would be complete without a list of the available bet types and their odds. So in this next section, we’ll provide exactly that!
|Bet Type ||Usual Odds|
|Pass Line (Come)||1 to 1|
|Don’t Pass (Don’t Come)||1 to 1|
|Pass Line 4 or 10||2 to 1|
|Pass Line 5 or 9||3 to 2|
|Pass Line 6 or 8||6 to 5|
|Don’t Pass 4 or 10||1 to 2|
|Don’t Pass 5 or 9||2 to 3|
|Don’t Pass 6 or 8||5 to 6|
|Hardways 6 or 8||9 to 1|
|Hardways 4 or 10||7 to 1|
|Place Bet 4 or 10||9 to 5|
|Place Bet 5 or 9||7 to 5|
|Place Bet 6 or 8||7 to 6|
|Field Bet 2 or 12||1 to 1|
|Field Bet 3, 4, 9, 10 or 11||1 to 1|
|Big 6 / Big 8||1 to 1|
|Any 7||4 to 1|
|Any Craps||7 to 1|
|Aces (2)||30 to 1|
|Boxcars (12)||30 to 1|
|Ace Deuce||15 to 1|
|Yo Eleven||15 to 1|
Although these odds are common, this is just a reference. Not all casinos pay out precisely as per the table, so don’t be surprised to see subtle differences from site to site.
More Online Casino Guides & Trivia
There are many pitfalls to avoid when playing at online craps casinos. Follow our advice, and you’ll be well-placed to avoid these common mistakes.
Don’t Be Too Keen
We’ve already alluded to this, but if you’re a newcomer to the game, ensure you are prepared adequately. Learn the rules, understand the bets correctly and don’t try to run before you can walk.
Even if you’re a seasoned craps pro, you should still avoid being over-eager. For instance, betting too aggressively can cost you in the long run. Understand the essentials of bankroll management and never chase losses. Don’t rush to place a bet and risk accidentally clicking the wrong thing. Another opportunity will come along shortly, so be patient and play responsibly.
Making Bad Bets
Don’t Come and Come are the two best craps bets due to the casino’s edge being as low as possible. We don’t care if it sounds boring. Sticking only to these bets gives you the strongest chance of enjoying a winning session.
If you play the Big 6 and Big 8 best, you’re giving the casino a theoretical edge of 9.09% every time. That’s absolutely huge! Even the worst-paying video slots will only take around 6%. Just don’t get involved with bad bets.
Not Paying Attention
It’s easy to be distracted when playing at an online casino. With social media, streaming sites and all kinds of content just a click away, it can be tempting to multitask. Avoid this at all costs. One wrong click can result in real money losses, which might be the difference between a good day and a bad one.
This is true of any casino game, but especially craps. There’s a lot to take in, and it plays out at a quick-fire tempo. So don’t take your eyes off the prize.
Closing Thoughts — Why Play Online Craps?
If you ask a craps player why they choose this particular game, you’ll most likely hear “excitement.” In a brick-and-mortar casino, there’s always a commotion at the craps table, and it’s usually the loudest part of the floor. A lot is going on, and the action unfolds quickly, offering a genuine buzz.
Unlike most casino games, the craps dynamic is quite different and somewhat unique. It doesn’t feel like you are taking on the house. Instead, many players are rooting for you as you shoot, while others are betting against you. Throw in the colourful language of craps, and you can see why it’s something of a cult classic.
Thanks to the prevalence of online casinos, craps have received a new lease on life. With so many sites to choose from and available mobile casino apps on Android and iOS phones and tablets, it’s just so easy to get involved. And with many variations of the classic craps game available online, there are more reasons than ever before to give it a try.
Definitely! Ontario is one province where online gambling sites are legal. And on this page, you’ll find a collection of safe and secure casinos that offer this popular dice game.
The rules of online craps are just the same as when playing in a physical casino, as the different betting opportunities. We’ve detailed them fully a little further up the page. The main variation is that an automated, mechanical shooting device rolls the dice.
It’s important to remember that craps are gambling; therefore, there are no guarantees. But to have the greatest chance of long-term success, Don’t Pass is your best bet. This option has a house edge of just 1.36%, the lowest of any craps wager.
Absolutely not. All online casino games, including live dealer and RNG craps titles, are fair. In addition, casinos and game developers spend lots of money on independent testing labs to validate the honesty of their products. So you can be sure that the results are nothing but straight.
You don’t have to go to Las Vegas to enjoy a game of craps! Simply check out any of the trusted brands named in this guide. They offer secure banking options and real money gaming, bringing the casino experience directly to you.
Craps is a traditional casino game that uses dice to control the outcome. As such, you will be relying on luck to win your bets. Some people believe that you can control the dice with shooting techniques. However, even if this were true, it would be irrelevant when playing online, where a mechanical arm rolls the dice.
In this craps guide, we’ve shared some playing strategies you can use at online craps sites elsewhere. These tips should improve your chances of winning in the long term.
Sometimes, yes! If you’re new to the game and still need to gain the confidence to risk real money, you can play in demonstration mode. Not all casinos offer craps demos, but many of our recommended sites do.
Dominic is an experienced gambling industry professional of well over a decade across a variety of operational and product roles. He has launched retail sportsbooks and online wagering sites for gaming giants across Africa and Southeast Asia. Much of his content focuses on the North American iGaming scene, specifically the newly licensed Ontarian market, including casino & sportsbook reviews and local gambling laws.